Mild side effects of DHEA
There are patients who don’t present any side effects to this supplement and tolerate DHEA very well. Mild DHEA side effects include:
- hair loss
- unwanted hair growth
- missed menstrual periods
- voice deepening
DHEA Severe side effects
High doses of DHEA may lead to severe adverse effects. Severe DHEA side effects require urgent medical attention and include:
- severe allergic reactions, such as hives
- breathing problems
- tightness in the chest or swelling
- blurred vision
- fast or irregular heartbeats
- behavioral or mood changes
- sleeping problems
What is DHEA used for?
DHEA is a dietary supplement that is used for several conditions that relate to age and to increase interest to sex. Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) is a hormone that is produced by both men and women. This hormone is produced by the adrenal glands.
The main benefits of DHEA consist of improving sexual drive and interest, reversing aging and improving memory function. A lot of studies have shown the benefits of DHEA on all of these issues but the safety and efficiency of this supplement is still not analyzed completely.
DHEA Interactions and Risks
- You suffer from certain conditions that limit your daily DHEA intake. Generally, DHEA taken with low doses and used for only short term is tolerated but high doses of this supplement used for long-term may cause serious problems, especially in those patients who suffer from diabetes, cancer or a history of cancer, endometriosis, uterine fibroids, high cholesterol, liver disease (liver failure, hepatitis or cirrhosis), depression, bipolar disorder (or manic depression), polycystic ovary symptom (PCOS), any chronic diseases or severe health problems and allergies, including allergic reactions to foods, dyes or preservatives.
- You are currently treating yourself with other medications. You must show the complete list to your doctor of all medications that you are currently using, including health supplements, herbal products and vitamins. A lot of drugs may interact with DHEA and cause dangerous issues.
DHEA and pregnancy
If you take DHEA while you are pregnant, this may cause you pregnancy problems. DHEA is a hormone that is transformed into estrogen or testosterone in the body and testosterone excess may present harmful and negative effects during pregnancy. It alters the balance of other hormones in the body that are needed during pregnancy. If you become pregnant during your treatment period with DHEA, you are required to visit your healthcare provider immediately, in order to know the risks of this hormone during pregnancy. Your doctor must know that you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant before starting to use DHEA.
DHEA and breastfeeding
You are not allowed to start taking DHEA without telling your healthcare provider if you are breastfeeding.
DHEA daily dosage and overdose
There isn’t an exact DHEA dosage for everyday usage. Every condition requires a different dose of DHEA but your daily dose will mainly depend on several factors. According to medical studies, the maximum DHEA dosage is 2500 mg a day that should never be exceeded.
If you overdose with DHEA, the risks are not known so far. Hormonal problems were reported from DHEA overdose thanks to long-term usage.