Mild Avapro side effects
Mild side effects include:
- stomach pain
- mild dizziness
Severe side effects of Avapro
Severe Avapro side effects require urgent medical attention and include:
- allergic reactions
- like hives
- breathing problems
- less urination or lack of urination
- mood changes
- increased thirst
- appetite loss
- weight gain
What is Avapro used for?
Avapro, on its generic name Irbesartan, is a medication included in the category of angiotensin II receptor antagonists that help in preventing the narrowing of blood vessels. This fact improves blood flow and lowers blood pressure.
This medication is helpful in treating hypertension and it’s often prescribed to use along with another blood pressure drug. Avapro is also helpful in treating kidney problems that were caused by type II diabetes.
If you receive this medication for treating hypertension, keep using it on the entire prescribed period, even if you feel better before that term. Hypertension doesn’t present any symptoms in most of the cases.
Avapro Interactions and Risks
- You ever presented allergic reactions to this medication.
- You have liver or kidney disorder, congestive heart failure or if you are dehydrated. All these conditions must be reported to your doctor before starting to use Avapro, in order to make sure that you can safely take this medication along with these illnesses without any problems.
- Your daily alcohol intake is above the normal limits. Alcohol must be avoided during your treatment period with Avapro. Alcohol combined with this medication may lower your blood pressure but may increase certain Avapro side effects.
- You are currently using salt substitutes or potassium supplements. All these substitutes and supplements are forbidden to take together with Avapro, without medical advice.
- You have severely low blood pressure or hypertension. Your blood pressure will need to be checked on a regular basis. For this, you need to visit your doctor regularly.
- You encounter unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, weakness, fever and dark urine. Any of these symptoms, if encountered, require urgent medical attention. These signs may be the symptoms of kidney damage caused by the breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue.
Avapro and pregnancy
Avapro received a category D rating from the FDA and it is considered to be extremely dangerous to the infant. You are not allowed to use this medication without medical advice if you’re pregnant or plan to become pregnant. Avapro may cause injury or death of the infant if used during the second or third semester of pregnancy.
If you become pregnant during your treatment period with Avapro, stop taking this medication immediately and consult your doctor right away. You are required to use efficient birth control pills, in order to avoid pregnancy during your treatment period with Avapro.
Avapro and breastfeeding
It is not proven if Avapro passes into breast milk or not. Therefore, we can’t know if it is harmful to the nursing baby or not. Because the risks of Avapro during breastfeeding are unknown, you are forbidden to start using it without medical attention, if you’re nursing a baby.
If you believe you have taken too much Avapro, consult your doctor urgently. The overdosing symptoms of this medication include:
- fast or slow heartbeats
- light headedness